Excerpts from "Together In Exile" by Peter Murphy
Library of Congress Catalog Information
CALL NUMBER: CS88.S3129 M87 1990
AUTHOR: Murphy, Peter, 1963-
TITLE: Together in Exile / by Peter Murphy.
PUBLISHED: [Saint John, N.B. : P. Murphy, 1990]
DESCRIPTION: xx, 283 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
SUBJECT: Saint John (N.B.)--Genealogy
SUBJECT: Louth (Ireland)--Genealogy
SUBJECT: Canada--Emigration and immigration
SUBJECT: Ireland--Emigration and immigration
NOTE: Includes bibliographical references (p. 280-282) and index.
ISBN NUMBER: 0969415206 : $34.95
LCCN NUMBER: 91-162125
MacLysaght says that the O'hEochaidh (O'Hoey) family was of "primary importance in Ulster till subdued by their kinsmen the MacDunlevys about the year 1300. The name does not appear in either the 1766 religious census or the 1833 Tithe Applotment of the Parish of Carlingford, but the sacramental records of "South Carlingford" do refer, after 1818, to a Hoey family at Ballynamoney Bradshaw/Wilville. Among the Cooley emigrants who settled in Lower Cove, there were at least twelve members of this Hoey family but the recurrence among them of the names Patrick and Mary - there were three of each - makes it impossible to pin point their exact blood links.
WILLIAM HOEY was born in Ireland (almost certainly at Ballynamoney Bradshaw in the Parish of Carlingford) between 1805 and 1811. On 9 October 1853, he "stood for" Margaret, daughter of James and Catherine (Creegan) Murphy, in Saint John. He was granted permission to purchase one hundred acres of crown land - lot 22 - at Mount Theobald Settlement, for f15, in 1859. Having fulfilled the terms of the grant, he was given title to the land on 23 January 1872. The Morning Freeman of 27 October 1866 reported that "Wm. Hoey, 55, found lying and lurking about a house in Church - street, was sent to the Alms House for 40 days." William spent the latter years of his life in the home of his brother Patrick (c. 1819-1913) in Fairfield, St. Martins. On 18 April 1883, "William Hoey, farmer of St. Martins," sold his land at Mount Theobald to William Davidson for $200. He died at Fairfield on 28 May 1890 and is buried in St. Williams Cemetery, St. Martins.
MARY HOY was born in Ireland (almost certainly at Ballynamoney Bradshaw in the Parish of Carlingford) between 1801 and 1811, a sister or first cousin of William (c 1811-1890) and Patrick Hoey (c 1819-1913). She married THOMAS LOWE, of Ballynamoney Bradshaw, about 1827 and emigrated to Saint John in 1848.
MARY HOY was born in Ireland (almost certainly at Ballynamoney Bradshaw, in the Parish of Carlingford) about 1813, a sister or first cousin of William (c. 1811-1890) and Patrick Hoey (c. 1819-1913) and probably a first cousin of Mary (Hoy) Lowe. She married JAMES, son of John and Peggy (O'Rourke) CREEGAN of Ballynamoney Bradshaw, in 1836 and emigrated to Saint John about 1853.
PATRICK HOEY (c. 1819-1913) was born in the Parish of Carlingford (probably at Ballynamoney Bradshaw or Wiville). He may have been the "Patt, son of Thomas Hoey and Mary Shiels, Wilville," who was Baptized in Cooley on 11 April 1819, with John Murphy and Ann Rourk [sic] as sponsors. Patrick married Mary Murphy in Saint John, on 9 January 1851, in the presence of Thomas Murphy and Ann Murphy. Mary was born at Drunchondre, Parish of Summerhill, County Meath on 24 May 1826. She and Patrick settled in Lower Cove where at least seven of their eight children were born . Patrick received permission to purchase eighty-eight acres of crown land - lot 44 - at Mount Theobald Settlement, for 13f 4s., in 1859. He and Mary were enumerated, with their children, at Mount Theobald in 1871. On 29 December 1874, Patrick Hoey "of the City and County of Saint John, farmer and Mary, his wife" sold lot 44 to Mr. William H. Rourke, lumber merchant, for $400. They subsequently settled at Fairfield in the Parish of St. Martins. Mary (Murphy) Hoey died at Fairfield on 24 November 1897. Patrick died on 29 September 1913 at the reputed age of 93 years 3 months and 7 days and is buried with his wife in St. William's Cemetery, St. Martins. Patrick and Mary (Murphy) Hoey had eight children: I. Thomas; II. Mary Ann; III. Margaret (Walsh); IV. Thomas; V. William; VI. Mary Ann; VII. Catherine and VIII. John:
II. MARY ANN was Baptized on 24 May 1852, aged two days - sponsors: Hugh McHugh and Ann Murphy - and died before 1859.
III. MARGARET was born on May 31st and Baptized on 5 June 1853, her sponsors being Hugh McHugh and Bridget McKenna. She married James Walsh and settled in the Parish of St. Martins where she died on 12 January 1886. She is buried in St. William's Cemetery, St. Martins.
IV. THOMAS was Baptized on 23 September 1855, aged four days, with Thomas Mills and Rose Murphy as sponsors. He married Ida May, daughter of Patrick and Eliza (McFadden) Lucy of Hanwell, Sunbury County. Thomas was a farmer and lumber man. He died in St. Martins and was buried in St. William's Cemetery on 16 April 1925. Ida died, while visiting several of her children, at Newark, New Jersey, in January of 1946, and is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, East Orange, New Jersey.
V. WILLIAM was born about 1857 and married Clara Carr in St. William's Church, St. Martins on 6 June 1889 in the presence of Robert Walsh and Margaret Aaron. He was a farmer and lumber man. William Hoey died at St. Martins on 28 December 1944 and is buried in St. William's Cemetery.
VI. MARY ANN was born on October 7th and Baptized on 8 October 1859 - sponsors: Patrick Hoy and Catherine Cregan - and died at St. Martins on 28 April 1883. She is buried in St. William's Cemetery.
VII. CATHERINE was Baptized on 10 January 1862, aged ten days - sponsors: Patrick Reilly and Margaret Cregan - and died before 1871.
VIII. JOHN was Baptized on 2 October 1863, aged one day - sponsors: George Killen and Catherine Cregan - and died before 1871.
THOMAS HOY was born about 1821 in the Parish of Carlingfordand emigrated to Saint John after 1851. He lived, for many years, with Thomas Lowe and later with his son William Lowe. Thomas Hoy, Labourer, died after a tedious illness on 14 March 1883 and was buried from the residence of Mr. William Lowe, 118 Main (Broad) Street, with interment in lot 1284 in St. Mary's Cemetery.
PATRICK HOY was born in County Louth(probably at Ballynamoney Bradshaw in the Parish of Carlingford) about 1824. He married MARY McKENNA of Ballug, in Cooley, on 16 April 1847 in the presence of Francis McKenna and Bridget McKenna. Patrick and Mary emigrated to Saint John in 1847 and were enumerated in Sydney Ward in 1851 (in the same house as Stephen and Bridget (McKenna) Thompson). Mary died on 23 August 1857, aged 29 years, and is buried in lot 264 in St. Mary's Cemetery. Patrick was enumerated in the home of Ann (Hoy) Williams, 37 Main (Broad) Street, near the corner of Sydney, in 1871. He was admitted to the St. John County Alms House "from the hospital" - on 21 June 1872 - lame and infirm - and died there, of pneumonia, on 8 November 1878. He is buried in lot 264 in St. Mary's Cemetery. Patrick and Mary (McKenna) Hoy had three children: I. Michael; II. Thomas and III. Patrick:
II. THOMAS was born about 1848 and died on Sydney Street on 23 February 1858. He is buried in lot 264 in St. Mary's Cemetery.
III. PATRICK was Baptized on 9 January 1855, aged four days, with Michael Russell and Bridget McGuiggan, as sponsors. Patrick Hoy Sr. purchased lot 264 in St. Mary's Cemetery on 10 January 1855 (possibly to bury little Patrick).
ANN HOY was born in Ireland (almost certainly at Ballynamoney Bradshaw in the Parish of Carlingford) about 1826.She married John Williams, in Saint John, on 18 September 1860, in the presence of Thomas Killen and Margaret Hoye [sic]. John Williams made a profession of the Catholic Faith and was Baptized on 11 September 1860, at the age of 23, his sponsors being Thomas Lowe and John Mulhearn. Ann (Hoy) Williams is listed as a widow in the 1871 Census; she was employed as a charwoman. The Williamses were not enumerated at Lower Cove in 1881. John and Ann Williams had three children: I. Patrick; II. Richard and III. Margaret Ann:
I. PATRICK is listed in the 1871 Census, aged 16 years. (He may have been an illegitimate son of Ann Hoy.)
II. RICHARD was Baptized on 6 October 1861, aged two days, his sponsors being Peter McCrystal and Margaret Hoy, and is listed with his mother in the census of 1871.
III. MARGARET ANN was Baptized on 1 May 1864, aged three weeks and three days - with Michael Hoy and Catherine Cregan as sponsors - and was enumerated, with her mother and brothers, at Lower Cove in 1871.
MARY HOYE [sic] was born about 1831 at Ballynamoney Bradshaw in the Parish of Carlingford. She died on Tuesday, 7 February 1865 and was buried from the residence of her brother, 137 Sydney Street (between Main and Sheffied) with interment in John Hoy's lot (#1284) in St. Mary's Cemetery.
PATRICK HOY "Jr." was born about 1838 in the Parish of Carlingford. He married CATHERINE, daughter of EDWARD and MARY (FINIGAN) MURPHY of Ballynamoney Bradshaw, in Saint John, on 9 January 1868, in the presence of Patrick Cregan and Catherine Thomspon. "Patrick Hoy Jr." died, after a lingering illness, on 7 June 1873 and is buried in lot 1850 in St. Mary's Cemetery. Catherine (Murphy) Hoy was employed as a coat maker and living, with her nephews James and Thomas Murphy and niece Agnes Murphy, at 199 Sydney Street in 1891. She died on 15 June 1909 and was buried from the residence of her niece Catherine Teresa "Tess" (Mrs. Robert McCarthy), 124 St. James Street, with interment in lot 1850, St. Mary's Cemetery.
ELLEN HOY was born in Ireland (probably at Ballynamoney Bradshaw, in the Parish of Carlingford) about 1844. She married Thomas Conboy, in Saint John, on 29 November 1863, in the presence of John and Margaret Cregan. Thomas was born in Saint John, a son of George - a native of Dennamon, County Fermanagh - and Sarah (White) Conboy and was Baptized on 1 January 1840, aged "a fortnight." (Thomas' nephew Harold Leo Evans married Lizzie, daughter of Ann (Murphy) Devine and granddaughter of James and Catherine (Creegan) Murphy, in 1940.) Thomas and Ellen lived all of their married life in the southwestern-most section of Saint John's south end. Thomas Conboy, labourer, died, of phthisis, at 64 Sheffield Street, on 21 December 1895 and is buried in lot 2147 in St. Mary's Cemetery. Ellen survived him, but apparently left Saint John as there is no record of her burial in either St. Mary's or St. Joseph's Cemetery. Thomas and Ellen (Hoy) Conboy had ten children: I. Michael John; II. Mary Ellen "Mary Helen"; III. George; IV. Thomas John; V. Catherine Teresa "Katie"; VI. John "John Raymond"; VII. Peter; VIII. Daniel Patrick; IX. Joseph and X. Agnes:
I. MICHAEL JOHN was Baptized on 8 January 1865, aged twelve days - sponsors: John Creegan and Margaret Hoy - and died before 1871 (probably in infancy).
II. MARY ELLEN "MARY HELEN" was Baptized on 9 September 1866, aged fourteen days - sponsors: James Thompson and Rose A. (Murphy) Trainor and died, of consumption, on 4 January 1892. She is buried in lot 2147 in St. Mary's Cemetery.
III. GEORGE was Baptized on 22 August 1869, aged two weeks, his sponsors being Peter Thomson [sic] and Mary Ellen Heffern [sic]. He is listed with his parents in the census of 1881 but not in that of 1891.
IV. THOMAS JOHN was Baptized on 6 August 1871, aged eighteen days, with James Murphy and Mary Ann Griffin as sponsors. Between 1889 and 1906, he made numerous appearances in the local police court on charges of drunkenness, using profane language, throwing stones, fighting, assault, interfering with police and "habitual frequentation of a house of ill fame." He was a member of the International Longshoremen's Association and resided for most of his adult life in the North End. Towards the end of his life, Thomas was an active member of St. Peter's Parish and held membership in the Holy Name Society. He died in St. Joseph's Hospital on 12 September 1951 and is buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery.
V. CATHERINE TERESA "KATE" was Baptized on 3 November 1872, aged two weeks, her sponsors being Edward Budd and Mary Ann Hargraves. She was enumerated, with her parents, in Sydney Ward in 1891.
VI. JOHN "JOHN RAYMOND" was Baptized on 26 April 1874, aged three weeks, with George Conboy and Catherine Conboy as sponsors. He was twice married: first to Annie, daughter of Edward and Mary Ann (Blackler) Furness, who died in Saint John on 8 March 1925 and secondly, in 1930, to Annie's sister Mrs. Mary Ellen (Furness) Burgess. John Conboy was employed for forty years as a crane operator with Joseph A. Likely Co. Ltd. Mary Ellen Conboy died on 14 January 1953, in Saint John, and following her death John lived with his step-son, Edmund Burgess, in Lynn, Mass. He died at Lynn on 28 April 1962 and is buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Saint John.
VII. PETER was Baptized on 20 June 1875, aged two weeks - sponsors: John Murphy and Kate Kelly -and died before 1881.
VIII. DANIEL PATRICK was Baptized on 24 March 1877, aged fourteen days, his sponsor being Margaret Hanlon. He made several appearances in the local police court, between 1895 and 1899, on charges of drunkenness, using abusive language and resisting the police. Daniel P. Conboy died at Galveston, Texas on 1 January 1902.
IX. JOSEPH was Baptized on 14 May 1879, aged nine days - sponsor: Mary Hargrave - and was buried in lot 2147 in St. Mary's Cemetery, on 5 July 1883.
X. AGNES was Baptized on 4 January 1882, aged twenty-two days - sponsor: Jane Bell - and died young (perhaps in infancy).
JOHN HOY purchased lot 1284 in St. Mary's Cemetery, on 8 February 1865, to bury Miss Mary Hoy, but does not appear in any other records consulted.
MARGARET HOY was a witness at the wedding of John Williams and Ann Hoy, in Saint John, on 11 September 1860 and was a sponsor for both Richard Williams (October 1861) and Michael John Conboy (January 1865). Her death was announced in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception on 11 June 1871.
Address Comments, Additions, and Suggestions to: Arthur Hoey at
Updated on Sunday, 20 December 1998